Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Yeah, the writer’s block is still holding on strong. While waiting for the muses to turn back up, I figured I would pass on this reaction of my four-old-daughter to the birth of my new son:

My daughter desperately wanted a baby sister. She wanted one so badly that she refused to even entertain the possibility that we could possibly have anything but another girl. After Carson was born and she was told that we had had another boy, she broke down in tears and was crushed at the prospect. She eventually warmed up however and before long she appeared to enthusiastically dote on her little brother.

Then she noticed the security bracelet strapped around his ankle that would trigger an alarm if anyone tried to remove the baby from the hospital and asked us what it was for. We told her that the bracelet prevented the baby from being stolen. Upon hearing this, her eyes lit up and she asked, “But if Carson gets stolen, does that mean we could go back and get a girl this time?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed your announcement thread on GAB, anyway, just wanted to say that Carson is a beautiful name and I think I'll have to add it to the list (in my head) of names I love.

Oh, and also this reminded me of something I read in Viz a while ago. It was on the parody letters page and the letter read, 'My little granddaughter came up to me yesterday and asked if she planted bird seed would a bird grow. Kids,they're stupid buggers.'

hannah/brody

11:33 AM  
Blogger JEP said...

Thanks Hannah:

Actually, Hunter was my first choice for a name, after my favorite author Hunter S. Thompson, but my wife heard about his life full of petty crime, drug use, alcoholism and eventual suicide and announced I had a better chance of naming him Pol Pot.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The JEP Report Store Reader Sites
  • Inflammable Hamster
  • Right Michigan
  • Great Writing